For more information about Nelson's Plumbing & Heating and the plumbing services we provide in the Philadelphia area, contact us today at (215) 549-6000 for a free, no-obligation quote. We are happy to answer your questions and provide more details.
Or Contact Us!
Heating in Philadelphia
If there’s one thing that home and business owners in Philadelphia hate more than anything else, it is when their heating leaves them out in the cold when winter comes. What makes a cold home or workplace such a pain isn’t simply the fact that it’s uncomfortable, but that it could have been prevented had they called Nelson’s Plumbing & Heating.
Nelson’s Plumbing & Heating has been specializing in all kinds of heating services that more Philadelphia home and business owners trust when they require reliable, efficient and quality heating work. From the moment you first get in touch with a member of our friendly staff, you will be taken care of. We believe in delivering exceptional outstanding service each time we visit you. To do this, we only work with the best, fully licensed technicians in the Philadelphia area.
If your Philadelphia home or business isn’t heating properly, call (215) 549-6000 to speak to one of Nelson’s Plumbing & Heating representatives to find out how soon we can come take a look at your system and get it running again.
If you have noticed something strange with your furnace or boiler, you likely will require the help of Nelson’s Plumbing & Heating professionals in order to get it back to normal. What constitutes as something strange? One of the biggest warning signs to be mindful of is how much you are spending on your energy bill every month versus how much you are consuming. For example, if you haven’t been using any more heat than your normally would, but the cost you have to pay on a monthly basis continues to rise, then there is very likely a problem with the furnace or boiler that needs repairing.
There could either be a mechanical error, parts that have worn down or blockages, but ultimately, when your energy bill continues to rise without increased consumption, it is a sure sign your system needs maintenance. The reason why you keep spending more and more is because your system must work harder and therefore use more energy to blow the hot air around. Let the professionals at Nelson’s Plumbing & Heating take a look at your system and we’ll figure out the issue in good time.
Three Signs Your Home’s Heater Needs to Be Repaired
If you are the type of person who drove their first car so hard that the engine fell off and it turned to dust, then you may feel that there is still a lot of life left in your home’s heater despite the many warning signs you may have encountered recently. However, the fact of the matter is that if you were to apply the same logic to your home’s heater as you did to your car, then you are running the risk of depreciating its value immensely. Doing so could affect the resale value of your home, while also leaving your family shivering if the heater breaks down during the cold winter months in Philadelphia.
To avoid this worst-case scenario striking your home, you need to be prudent about heater maintenance. To put it simply, a heater or home furnace should last about 15 years. If yours is reaching the end of its lifespan, then you need to pay close attention to potential signs of damage. With that in mind, here are three signs that you should know about in order to avoid complete heater breakdown in your Philadelphia home:
- You’ve Neglected Your Home’s Heater for Over a Year: The quickest and most effective way of establishing whether your home’s heater needs a maintenance check or not is by knowing when it last received one. Ask yourself when the last time was you had a trained HVAC technician inspect it. If the answer is more than 12 months ago, the you’re due for an annual maintenance check. At the very least, it is likely that your filter will need to be replaced! At Nelson's Plumbing & Heating, our flexible schedule means that we can arrange a consultation with one of our professional team members right away. Don’t delay, get in contact with us today and let us improve the health of your furnace right away.
- Water Pooling Around the Furnace: Typically, there are two substances that your furnace can and will often leak: gas and water. As you can imagine, a water leak is a lot less serious than a gas one but that does not mean that it should be overlooked. In fact, a gas leak that isn’t treated in time can become extremely problematic for your home. A quick and easy way of checking for this problem is by checking for water pooling near or under your furnace. In general, this is caused by a clogged condensate line, a problem that is best left to the pros like us.
- You Smell Leaking Gas: Unlike water, a gas leak is usually identifiable by the stench that it emits. If this is the case, then you need to shut down your heater or furnace immediately. From there, you can open up your furnace, find the gas supply valve and turn it off. It is imperative that you don’t light any matches or turn on any lights in your home during this period. Instead, call our team right away!
Five Benefits of Regular Heater Inspections
When winter hits in Philadelphia, you need to make sure that your heaters are working correctly. After all, there are very few things in life more frustrating than turning on a furnace or electric fireplace for the first time in November or December only to discover that there is an issue that needs repairing. Not only is this realization going to leave you and your family facing a night in the cold, it may also end up leaving your bank balance with a major dent. So, if you want to avoid this inconvenience, you need to make sure that your Philadelphia home’s fireplace and furnaces are inspected regularly. Five benefits of doing so include:
- Reduced Utility Bills: Regular maintenance of your home’s water or furnace heater will ensure that it runs efficiently through the winter months. On top of that, this maintenance will make sure that all electrical connections are tightened, moving parts lubricated, the correct air flow measured, and blower components inspected and adjusted. Making sure that every part of your furnace is inspected and operating to full capacity means that energy efficiency increases while utility bills reduce.
- Longer Lifespan for Equipment: Regular inspection of your furnace or heating system means that it will keep running at its best for longer. Everything from inspecting and cleaning condensate drains to testing your heating unit’s starting capabilities are all part of this process. Regular inspections ensure that your heating system or furnace avoids early-set deterioration. This reduces the impact from regular wear and tear and means that it can keep running for many years to come.
- Reduced Repairs: By regularly having your furnace or water heater system inspected by our skilled technicians at Nelson's Plumbing & Heating, you can rest assured that the need of repairs will be reduced. Through regular inspection you can make sure that the cleaning, lubrication and assessment of your home’s furnace is kept running at its peak performance. This means that you will experience fewer problems during the operation. All this means is that your furnace is kept in regular working order, thereby ensuring that your Philadelphia home is heated reliably and worry-free throughout winter.
- Improved Safety: Let’s be honest about it, when it comes to your family, safety should always be the number one priority. That is why every water heater or furnace maintenance inspection that we at Nelson's Plumbing & Heating carry out is designed to reduce any of these issues. All our maintenance checks are designed to include a review of your heater’s safety features as well as the procedures that will include the cleaning and adjusting of the burner assembly, the upkeep of the ignition assembly as well as inspecting the heat exchanger. With a proper inspection and regular maintenance check, you can rest assured that any potential risks to your family’s safety will be eliminated.
- Enhanced Capacity: Once the maintenance check from Nelson's Plumbing & Heating is complete, you can rest assured that all the important parts of your furnace will have improved capacity which means it will be better served to meet your home’s needs.
- Reduced Property Damage Liability: A maintenance check from Nelson's Plumbing & Heating can save your home money by being proactive with inspections. This can also help catch potential damage before it becomes too serious, and it can assist with the avoidance of added expenses and costs from property damage.
- Building Code Compliant: By having your heating system maintained and regularly checked by Nelson's Plumbing & Heating, you can rest assured that they will help you comply with building codes, especially any changes to the codes. This will also mean that you avoid fines or potential lawsuits by maintaining safety and caution.
- Small Problems Detected: The final benefit of a regular heater inspection from us at Nelson's Plumbing & Heating is that small and less serious problems can be detected before they turn into bigger and more expensive issues. If a small problem is detected now, then it can be ordered and replaced before it becomes too serious and needs to be replaced. Finally, if a problem occurs during winter then it will likely cost more to repair.
How Often Should You Have Your Heater Inspected?
While there is no right answer to this question, a yearly heater inspection will greatly prolong the lifespan of your home’s heating system—conveniently, it will also save you lots of money on energy bills. If you are reading this and you’re eager to act before the cold winter hits, then you are on the right track. In fact, at Nelson's Plumbing & Heating we recommend having a professional service of your furnace or heater checked each fall before a cold spell hits. Doing so means that you can prevent your heating system from conking out when you need it the most. As well as keeping you and your family warm when a cold Philadelphia winter hits, as heating experts we guarantee that our tried and trusted annual heater service will prolong the life of your system which will save energy and decrease health risks.
Recent research shows that 75% of no-heat calls that are made in the U.S. across winter are directly related to a lack of maintenance. If left un-serviced, a home’s heating system can stop working suddenly. This will result in you and yours feeling the cold snap as winter hits full stride. As well as that, failing to have your heating system inspected properly is a real health hazard. An often-overlooked benefit of our heating system inspections is that they can reveal potentially dangerous carbon monoxide leaks. These leaks are notoriously hard to detect because the gas is colorless and odorless. Carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, dizziness, nausea and even death. An estimated 500 people die each year, and 15,000 people are taken to emergency rooms because of exposure.
Finally, not maintaining your home’s heating system or furnace correctly can result in it running far less efficiently and seeing far more problems emerge in future. Avoid this by calling Nelson's Plumbing & Heating today and allow us to do what we do best.
No home or business owner wants to incur the expensive costs of replacing their HVAC system. However, replacing your heater is an inevitability that’s fast approaching if you are not providing it with the regular maintenance it needs to operate at peak efficiency. Rather than let your heater expire well in advance of its best before date, arrange to get the best heating maintenance in Philadelphia when you call (212) 549-6000 and talk to a Nelson Plumbing & Heating representative today.
Our trained professionals have been maintaining heaters of all makes and models all over the Philadelphia area and we are confident that we can provide your system with the care it needs to work as good as new. So, call us today!